Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sandbar

Yesterday in the later part of the afternoon Jim and I went to the beach. It was low tide and we walked out into the Gulf to the first sandbar. It had taken us a trip first down the shoreline and then back up until we found a section of water that was calm enough for us to traverse without being pulled or pushed by the chaotic turbulence and strong undertow.

There were other sandbars further out but I had to stop at the first one. It was glorious. I knelt down into the sandy bottom that I could see through the water. I looked upward and saw the sun lowering in the sky reflecting in the waves as they continued to smash against each other tumultuously. I was in awe.

A forest holds its own beauty. I grew up loving, playing in, and seeking and finding solace in the woods. Their scent, the sound of the forest floor as one walks, the enchanting way the sun dapples it as it peeks around the branches high up. The trees talk. My heart finds peace in the forest.

But the wilds of the Gulf hold a different kind of allure. It is power without mercy or humility that produces tranquility within my soul. What words does language hold that can come close to describing such a deep down inner core emotional reaction? I could have sat there forever and just watched as Jim's arms kept me anchored. Even as we got up to go back to shore, I had to turn around, stop, and look just one more time.

4 comments:

  1. Nice piece...I keep reading it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will never forget that day and the feeling being in the Gulf gave me. Having easy access to the Gulf like this borders on fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you experienced was a moment of wakeful meditation....while in the woods as well as near the ocean. Interestingly, the trees in the woods actually give off healthy oils in their scents which much improve one's immune system and I suspect, the ocean does to. There is so much we don't know, it makes what we do know seem terribly small. "The Journal of Consciousness Studies" is online (I also have the DVDs) with recommended readings....very helpful to everyone's spiritual journeys. I just finished "Consciousness Beyond Life" by Pim van Lommel, an excellent read and it's not what you think it is...it is actually a scientific excursion into many experiences people have (NDE and otherwise), often reflecting studies also done by Stuart Hammeroff and Roger Penrose. As Hammeroff said, he isn't taking reincarnation off the table nor are some well respected physicists who think that ALL information, including consciousness is never lost and may be contained within the Planck scale for all eternity, reused over and over....like everything else. I think you should write a book...you have a gift for words and images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. I'm not sure I have a book in me! Possibly a short story, though.

      I have not done anywhere near the research and reading you have done in regard to the topics you present. I know that there are a couple of people currently in my life that I truly believe I knew before. There are also some personal examinations of myself that make more sense when regarded from the perspective that reincarnation is real.

      Delete