Thursday, October 27, 2016

Dear Jim

Dear Jim,

I spent time with you tonight. Your brother and his wife were there, too. It was good to see them; they look well.

I am no longer angry with you for putting yourself in this position. My heart is only filled with love and sadness. You did your best. That is all any of us could have asked of you. 

Your body was hot from fever so I kept changing the washcloth on your forehead. I gently let my fingers glide across the skin on your arm and hand as I sat next to your bed. I didn't dare use a firmer touch as I was afraid I would cause you physical harm if I did.

When your brother and sister-in-law left us so that we could have some time together, we had a good chat, even though I was the only one talking. I could tell you were listening, the morphine notwithstanding. I told you how much I love you. That you are my Superman. Yes, I cried. I couldn't help it. You always told me there was no shame in crying. If I felt like I needed to, then I should cry and without apology.

I saw your body in a state I never imagined of you. Your pallor was grey and your muscles without tone. Even so, I love you. You will always be the handsome man that held me when we swam in the Gulf. The one that I could go to when I couldn't make up my mind, couldn't untangle logic from emotion enough to make a decision. You were so quick to decide the path you thought to be the right one and then explain to me why. I'm laughing remembering the many times you would say to me, "Fuck 'em." In other words, let it go. It's not worth worrying about or struggling with. Let go and move on.

I put my hand on your chest and told you to be at peace. I told you I would be back tomorrow to see you again but I'm not sure you will be around for another visit. I didn't say that to you, but that is what I was thinking.  

I also told you to visit me, if you want. I would know you were there.

I am glad we had our talk tonight. I am now at peace. I'll see you tomorrow.

Love,
Nancy

2 comments:

  1. Well said Nancy. I hope he makes it until Saturday so I can also talk to him one last time. He did so much for so many people that people don't even know about. I am one of those. My heart breaks for Jim and also you and all who really knew him. He is and always will be my Brother Marine and best friend. I love you Jimmy and always will. Semper Fi my Brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan - Jim talked about you with love and affection. He told me crazy stories about life in the Marines! He would always light-up reliving them. Just as you said, he never went around parading his good deeds in front of others. Whatever he did, it was because he wanted to help, not have any glory. I'm going back to see him early this afternoon. I'll tell him you're driving back up to see him tomorrow.

      Delete