Sunday, March 6, 2011

Country Music & Love

There are very few Country music songs that I will listen to all the way through. I just find the lyrics way too sappy and then I end up getting nauseous and it just isn't pretty.

It's not that these people can't sing. I think some of these artists have the most beautiful voices. It's not that the musicians lack talent. There is no hiding behind electro-pseudo-techno machinations. It's the lyrics. And the whining.

Sometimes love stinks. Sometimes love is grand. The verdict is out on love as a whole and that is why there are so many songs about it, people have killed themselves over it, and some have killed others because of it. Remember the one hit wonder by Haddaway, "What is Love?"?

Maybe that is why, if in the mood, I can enjoy listening to Johnny Cash. He didn't whine. I don't mind the twang. Having lived in Oklahoma and Texas, I find it endearing.

Maybe this isn't about Country music. Maybe this is really about love.

No comments:

Post a Comment