Thursday, March 31, 2011

RIP Belle

RIP Belle. She's our 11-year oldish Pointer/Doberman/? mix.  Her legs aren't working well anymore and she's in pain.  She's lost quite a bit of muscle mass and her back is somewhat bowed.  It's that time when an owner makes that hard choice.  The only thing making this easier is believing that she is going to see her ole pal Budderbutt who passed before her.

I can still see her sitting pretty in her run at the shelter. I walked through the door to the doggies and spied her immediately.  She looked back at me and that was all it took.  Yes, she was neurotic but how would you be if you had been beaten by some slob and then dropped off because you were thought of as a pain in the ass instead of a loved companion?  Eventually loud noises, sudden movements, and reaching over to pet her stopped causing her to panic. 

We got the submissive urination under control.....for the most part.  Her first year took patience but it was worth it.  Yes, she never lost the habit of sounding the alarm bark because a leaf floated by in front of the window and she had a stubborn streak.  She was prone to ear infections, too. 

But, she was protective and loving.  She was very smart, too, and had a large vocabulary.  She even figured out what we meant when we spelled certain words.  When she was young she had the most beautiful gait and I used to love watching her run around the back yard like a crazy person.  Now just getting up from a prone position is hard work and sometimes not a reachable goal.

I love that dog.  She used to climb up on the bed with me at night and cuddle.  All 80 pounds of her lying right next to me so we touched.  I didn't mind that she always rudely turned her back to me.  I guess it was her way of forcing me to put my arm over her. 

I'm not looking forward to our 7:45 pm visit to the vet's tonight.  I don't want to watch the light leave her eyes but I will be there for her.  She was there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment