Sunday, March 6, 2011

Do I Really Look Like a Hooker?

The other day a guy driving down one of the main roads near our house mistook me for a hooker. All I was trying to do was look around the parked cars to see when there was a break in traffic so that I could cross the street. Maybe I looked too....expectant? I just wanted to get my prescription that was ready for pick-up at CVS. Jamie says it was the red shirt I had on. I've never heard that hookers like to wear the color red but apparently it makes them stand out.

This guy was talking on his cell phone, driving, and looking at me. All of a sudden he slowed down, put his blinker on and started pulling over right near where I was standing. My first thought was, "Why is he pulling over? This is a one way street and he would be driving the wrong way." It was then that my brain registered that he had "that look". Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. You guys reading this probably practiced it in the mirror when you hit puberty. The girls practiced it on each other before heading out to the Jr. High dance. As we got older and more experienced, it just came naturally. When I was in my late teens, very late teens, and someone in college would give me the look, the intensity of it would sometimes be so intimidating it would have the opposite effect on me and I would feel the need to turn tail and run instead of move closer.

I quickly looked left and right again and was extremely relieved to find the coast was clear for me to cross the street. The guy in the car seemed surprised by my behavior. I wasn't following the script! And here he thought he had scored. This one looks healthy!

I'm still not sure how I should feel about this. It's rather insulting. At the same time, I have a niggling voice in the back of my head saying I should take it as a compliment of sorts. It makes my brain catch on fire and smoke if I think too hard about it. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment