Monday, October 13, 2014

Mexi-Ghetto Regulations!

If I don't recognize the number displayed on my cell phone, I won't answer it.  However, when Restricted lit up my phone late Saturday afternoon, I picked up.  It was the animal services officer that last visited the family up the street.  She was responding to an email requesting I call her.  She gave me good and bad news.

1. It is not against regulations to have a dog in a crate in a doghouse.  During each of the three visits the officer saw that water was being provided for the dog and on one of the visits the owner was outside playing with the dog.  I told her that is rare and I could count on one hand the times I have seen that.  I also think it is pretty convenient that that happened when it did since the dog was a crying mess when I heard and saw it.

2. The dog was found to be healthy.

3. Having a piece of plywood in front of the door with about a foot of space at the top was not against regulation because there was air getting in.  When I said there was no way there was air circulation and it was more like a hot box she said she would have to witness it and make a decision at that time.

4. When I asked about the dog getting exercise she said that the officer could talk to the owners about it.  Here again, being in a crate was not against regulation.

It ended with her telling me she understood what I was saying but that they must abide by the regulations set forth even though it may not be the way she or I would treat our pets.  She also reassured me that I should call animal services whenever I think something isn't right and they will always go check on the dog.  At least she didn't think I was being overprotective and ask that I stop calling.

That's about it in a nutshell.  Kind of anticlimactic but at least she listened, was respectful, and I knew she cared.


No comments:

Post a Comment