Sunday, May 9, 2010

Bread Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 4:14pm | Edit Note | Delete
While at work this morning I was listening to "Bread". I have this great 2-cd set of their music that has all of their best work included.

I had been left alone for a prolonged period of time, if one can define 10 minutes as prolonged, and realized that my surroundings were fading away. The thoughts, pictures, and feelings in my head became my present. Memories from my past were competing for attention now depending on which song was playing. Old feelings, ones from my teenage years, walked out of the darkness and stood in front of me. Smells, tidbits of conversations, places, people I used to know patiently took their turn. Suddenly I realized I had been daydreaming and that my heart rate had slowed and I was calm.

About ten years ago, a new Classic Rock radio station had started on the air. Part of their advertising was that they would be playing the real classic rock we all wanted to hear. The wait was over! I called them asking if they would play "Bread". The guy laughed at me and asked, "Who's that?" They didn't have "Bread", but how about bagel? Toast?

We had a summer home on 3rd Lake in Old Forge, NY. There were afternoons when I would take an inner tube out on the water and just be. I loved the rocking motion the waves caused. There was always a breeze so the sun beating down on me felt good. Plus, my feet, hands, and butt were in the water and that kept me cool, too. That kind of peace, that kind of quiet, that kind of calm is what I felt listening to "Bread" this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment