Sunday, May 9, 2010

Leaf Blowers Monday, April 12, 2010

I took a walk during my lunch hour today. When the weather is nice I try to get out of the office like that. It helps me for when I have to go back inside and face the long afternoon. I end up leaving a lot less tear stains on my work and my staff needs a lot less medical attention.

Today I walked past two gardening professionals tending to an office building's lawn. The major mowing was done so one was doing the edging and the other was using a leaf blower on the grass clippings in the street. I don't understand the concept. He walked, blew, and the grass moved down the street. What is the point? I can understand using a leaf blower to create a pile of, oh, let's say...leaves, to get them together for bagging. That I can understand. What is the point of blowing grass clippings around? Is this the lazy man's way of dispersing the evidence? How is this finishing the job? Plus, if you're not bagging it, what are you doing with it? I just don't get it.

Doesn't it seem that the one that has the leaf blowing responsibility is a little cocky, too? You've all seen the lawn care workers (if you can pick a better name for them then go for it) doing their jobs. They all descend on the patches of green like lions on a fresh kill each one ripping at a different part of the freshly dead except for the leaf blower. He is the one on the horizon with the sun to his back lollygagging along until the frenetic activity is over. Only then does he enter the scene. His motor is loud as he blows the stuff around and walks....very....slowly.

I don't know why it irritates me but it does. It's like everyone is working hard except for him. Well, maybe it is a job just to carry the contraption on one's back all day long. I'll give the guy that much. I will also be sexist and say it is a guy because I don't think I have ever seen a woman working one of those kinds of leaf blowers. I have seen women working construction, though.

Now that I feel like Andy Rooney, I will end my story here. Does this mean I'm becoming like a curmudgeon? I can hear Jamie now...what do you mean becoming?

No comments:

Post a Comment