Sunday, May 9, 2010

Still That Morning...and more - Part 2 May 8, 2010

I'm not sure what time Jamie and I woke up that morning but I do know that at 9 am a detective came knocking on our door. Jamie answered. Had anyone in the house seen or heard anything in regard to what had happened in the middle of the night? Again, Jamie poked his head in the house to get me. Since I had just gotten out of the shower, they had to wait for me to put some clothes on before I could step outside on our front porch. (Do you see a pattern here?)

The detective asked if I knew anything about the murder that took place. Well, now I knew someone had died except it wasn't the woman. Apparently there was a third person I hadn't seen or heard and he was the dead one. I started telling him my story. It didn't take long for him to stop me so that he could call across the street to, I was guessing, his partner to come right over. When the other detective was in earshot in the driveway detective 1 said to detective 2 that he would find what I was saying very interesting. I started from the beginning and retold my story. They peppered me with questions in a very non-threatening way. What exactly did the woman say? Do you know what kind of car you saw? What time was this? How do I know the exact time? Was I sure I only clearly saw one person? Was I sure of his build? Did I definitely not see anyone else?

They asked me if I would be willing to go downtown to make a statement. I said sure. No hesitation there. This was my civic duty. I felt the only right thing to do was to help get the bad guy.

I can't remember how long it was...maybe within a week or two...detective 2 called me. He left a message on our answering machine that he would like to set up a time for me to come in and give my statement. I called him back. He would pick me up after work, take me down to police HQ, I would give my statement, and then he would take me home. Again, no problem. This was turning into an exciting adventure anyway. I would see what it was like inside where the detectives work. Hey, I watched "The Wire". So cool.

I didn't know which detective I would see since I didn't know their names. I waited by the living room window for his car to pull up. The dogs make a racket with strangers and I didn't want to hear it. I see a crummy grey piece of crap car pull up and there is detective 2 in the driver seat. Can't the city afford nicer vehicles? It's kind of embarrassing. I get in the car, we reintroduce ourselves to each other and we're off.

No comments:

Post a Comment