Sunday, May 9, 2010

Just the Facts, Ma'am - Part 3

So here I was in a car with a Baltimore City detective because I witnessed the aftermath of a murder. I was nervous, anxious, and excited all at the same time. Detective Lewis, AKA detective 2, turned out to be a very nice person that knew how to put me at ease. He was also quite the Chatty Cathy. Since I tend to clam up when in awkward situations, that was a good thing.

He explained to me where the interview would take place and what kind of questions would be asked. Nothing to be nervous about. We are just going over what happened that morning. It is just a chat between the two of us that happens to be taped in a room with a mirror with another detective as a witness.

I brought up the condition of the car. How could The City send out detectives in such crappy looking vehicles? Detective Lewis whole heartily agreed. I said it is embarrassing. Detective Lewis agreed again. I guess this is a sore spot with some of the personnel. He said if I felt that strongly about it maybe I should write the Mayor. That suggestion went straight to the bottom of my list of things to do. I was sure a deaf man would more easily hear me than the Mayor.

I brought up "The Wire". How close was it to reality? He said it was very close, actually. The comradery, the crimes, the politics all were pretty true to life. He brought up the show "CSI" as an example of the opposite. He said there is no way that a crime is solved by a finger print from a car's dashboard. He then demostrated this by putting his fingers on the dashboard. He hates these shows because they oversimplify the process and cause citizens to become frustrated when the crime fighting process doesn't happen like that in real life.

Detective Lewis brought up the murder. He said that because of what I heard, they knew that the woman knew the killer. She finally confessed to that after much prodding on their part. The murderer had fled the state but they were in hot pursuit and not to worry. They have law enforcement contacts that are helping. They will find him and bring him back. He will not get away with this.

He also explained the situation. The murderer was the former boyfriend of the woman. The victim was the current boyfriend of the woman. Let's give them all names. These aren't their real ones. The thought of using their real names makes me hinky. The murderer is Travis. The woman is Shanel. The victim is Bob.

Travis waited in the car for Bob to show up. Travis confronted Bob on the front lawn and it moved up to the front porch. While this was happening, Shanel heard the arguing on the porch and went downstairs to break the two up. Before Shanel got out the front door, Travis had taken out a knife and stabbed Bob in the lung. The lung puncture caused Bob to not be able to take a breath and scream and that is why I didn't hear the actual murder. Travis then stabbed Bob 6 more times. Detective Lewis didn't go into any further detail except to say that Shanel is the one that called 911.

We made it to HQ and parked. I will get to see where the detectives work and a real interrogation room!

No comments:

Post a Comment